1. Arrange chairs in a Colosseum-like manner, with three chairs arranged in the middle.
2. Invite the group to fill the “audience” seats, and have two people sit on two of the seats in the middle, leaving one empty. These two people will begin the discussion.
3. Agree on the topic of discussion. Consider using the second step of Democractic Discussion to find out what people want to discuss.
4. Set a time limit for the topic and begin the discussion.
5. Explain that anyone, at any point in time, can come and sit in the unoccupied chair in the middle and join the discussion.
Then explain that when this happens, someone who is already participating in the discussion must voluntarily leave the “fishbowl” and free up a chair.
5. Instruct the first participants to begin the discussion.