1. On a large surface, draw a boat out at sea - this boat represents the team or the project.
2. Next, draw an island - this represents our goal. Ask the group to write down what they believe the team or project’s goals are on sticky notes.
3. Ask each member to share what they’ve written as you Affinity Sort them near the island.
4. If you haven’t already, draw a sail on the boat. Explain that this represents what’s driving us towards our goal. Ask the group to write down the drivers.
5. Share and Affinity Sort them near the boat.
6. Draw an anchor coming from the boat. Explain this represents the barriers to the goal. Ask the group to write down what’s slowing or stopping us achieving the goal.
7. Share and Affinity Sort them near the boat.
8. Blind Dot Vote the goals to get an understanding of what everyone believes is most important to work towards.
9. Finally, Blind Dot Vote the barriers to understand what the most important problem to solve is.